Police in Lilongwe are keeping in custody a 20 year old woman for concealing birth, which eventually led to the death of her new born baby.
The suspect has only been identified as Linly Gabriel who gave birth to a baby girl in the early hours of January 3, 2017.
Malawi News Agency (Mana) has established that the suspect who was pregnant used to live with a friend at Nankhaka Riverside Park Lodge room 3 which is located at Senti area in Lilongwe.
When birth was due, the suspect gave birth to the child in the same room without professional medical assistance. However after delivery, the suspect immediately started feeling abdominal pain.
“This prompted her friend to escort the suspect to Kamuzu Central Hospital (KCH) to seek medical attention. Unfortunately, the suspect hid the newborn child under a bed and left her there as they proceeded to the hospital,” said Kingsley Dandaula, Lilongwe police station spokesperson.
Upon arrival, the nurse on duty Hlalapi Kunkeyani, who is a specialized midwife, was baffled with the suspect’s complications. After consultation, the suspect provided contradictory statements but later confessed that she had just given birth and had hid the child in her room under the bed.
“The nurse reported the matter to area 33 police unit which is located around the hospitals premises. Police officers subsequently went to the said room where they found the newborn; dead,” said Dandaula.
As we went to press, the remains of the child had been taken to KCH for postmortem. The suspect is currently receiving medical attention and after recovery is expected to be charged with concealing birth which is contrary to section 232 of Malawi’s Penal Code.
Dandaula has since warned the general public that concealing birth is a crime under the laws of Malawi. “Every citizen should know that concealing birth of a child is punishable under the penal code of Malawi.
We urge women to seek medical attention prior or after giving birth as this could save lives of both the woman and that of the child,” he said.
The Commandant for the Kamuzu International Airport (KIA) reveals that a MK30 million X-ray machine for the airport will be repaired this month.
The machine which is used to scan people entering or leaving the country through the airport has not been working for over three years.
Malawians have been expressing concern over the matter, saying it is posing a security risk to the country.
Questions have been raised, on how such people manage to beat the system with the X-ray machines available.
Speaking to Capital FM, the Airport’s Commandant Macletcher Bongwe says the procurement process of the machine’s spare parts is already done.
“We ordered spare parts from South Africa at the cost of MK30 million and they are in the country.
We are currently doing some administrative procedures to clear them through customs and they will be installed any time this month to rectify the problem,” Bongwe added.
KIA recently made headlines following revelations that most ivory confiscated outside the country, passes through the same airport and those that spoke to Capital FM in the capital city, Lilongwe said the ivory easily passes through because there is no proper means to detect it as the airport lacks proper machinery.
The Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DODMA) reveals that their search for the missing people in the Lilongwe flood is not yielding results.
Several people are reported missing in a disaster that killed six people over the weekend.
They died after being washed away by floods emanating from heavy rains that swept away houses in Kawale, Mchesi, Kaliyeka, Chipasula, Areas 22 and 24 in the Malawi capital.
According to officials from DODMA, over 100,000 people have been left homeless as the disaster affected 202 households in the city’s townships.
The Director of Response and Recovery for DODMA Paul Kalilombe told Capital FM that the search continues.
“Officially we haven’t heard of someone being recovered apart from the six. And from those six only two of them have been identified.
For the rest, we are yet to find who they are and who their relatives are,” Kalilombe added.
Kalilombe did however not mention exactly how many people were still missing saying the exact number is not known.
Six people have died and several others are missing following heavy rains that have wrecked havoc in some areas in Malawi’s capital, Lilongwe over the weekend.
The six that have died include four males and two females and a search for the missing is currently underway.
According to officials from the Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DODMA), over 1,000 people have been left homeless after being displaced by the disaster in Kawale, Mchesi, Chipasula, Kaliyeka, Areas 22 and 24.
Apart from that, Kawale Bridge has been destroyed thereby disturbing traffic as it is part of a crucial road connecting Lilongwe Old Town and Kawale Township to Area 23.
Pictures circulating on social media show the affected families in a desperate state as they have been rendered homeless.
Paul Kalilombe who is the Director at DODMA confirmed the development to Capital FM adding that an assessment is underway to quantify the extent of the damage.
The Vice President Saulos Chilima visited the affected areas Sunday to assess the situation and made a symbolic relief distribution to the flood victims.
“We pray that the number does not increase since few more people are still missing and a search operation to find them is underway,” the Vice President said.
He assured the flood victims that government would make necessary arrangements to provide relief items and shelters for the displaced families.
Three legislators of the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) have been named and shamed following their involvement in the missing of personal documents of a fellow legislator belonging to the Malawi Congress Party (MCP).
The three parliamentarians are Christopher Mzomera Ngwira of Mzimba Hora, Francis Phiso of Blantyre North and Nkhotakota south east legislator Martha Lunji.
Last week, MCP legislator for Lilongwe Msozi South Vitus Dzoole Mwale raised alarm that his newspapers and personal documents were missing from his seat drawer in the chamber.
This prompted the Speaker of the National Assembly to order a review of the CCTV footage to determine what happened to the missing documents.
Upon the review of the footage, it was discovered that the three MPs had a hand in the missing documents.
The matter has since been referred to the Privileges Committee of Parliament which is chaired by Ngwira who is one of the accused.