Jul 19, 2018 Last Updated 10:40 AM, Jul 19, 2018
×

Warning

JFile: :read: Unable to open file:

At least two people have been killed and 17 injured in a crush at South Africa's biggest stadium, football officials say.

It took place during the Soweto derby between football clubs Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates in Johannesburg.

Orlando Pirates said the crush happened when people attempted to push their way through the gates into the 87,000-capacity FNB stadium.

Authorities allowed the pre-season cup game to continue.

Public safety official Michael Sun said on Twitter that all gates at the stadium had been opened to ensure crowd control and that the situation was later brought under control.

Of the 17 injured, one is in a critical condition, the stadium managers said.

Reuters said live television coverage of the match, which Kaizer Chiefs won 1-0, showed no obvious disturbance.

The stadium served as the venue for Nelson Mandela's first speech after his release from prison in 1990, and is where the memorial for Mr Mandela was held in 2013.

It was rebuilt for the 2010 football World Cup, where it was known as Soccer City and hosted the final between Spain and the Netherlands.

In April 2001, 43 supporters died in a crush during another match between Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates at the Ellis Park stadium in Johannesburg.

And 10 years before that, 42 people died in a crush between the same two teams at the Oppenheimer Stadium in the city of Orkney.

South African music legend and former Stimela frontman Ray Phiri has died at the age of 70.

Phiri's family has confirmed the news on Wednesday morning.

He had been battling lung cancer and was being treated at a Nelspruit hospital when he passed away in the early hours of this morning.

Family spokesperson Paul Nkanyane says they're devastated.

"He has been bad for the past few days. I spoke to him on Monday and he was struggling but unfortunately, there was nothing we could have done. The doctors say they tried all that they could to help him out."

News of Phiri's ailing health was first reported this week.

Photos of Miss South Africa wearing gloves while visiting black children at an orphanage in Soweto sparked a online outcry - but the orphanage staff say any insinuation that Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is racist is "ridiculous".

"Of course it wasn't because she didn't want to touch black children," says Carol Dyantyi, a spokesperson for the Orlando West Community Centre Ikageng.

Nel-Peters was volunteering to feed orphans at the centre, and the gloves were a health and safety measure.

"We told her, and all other volunteers, to wear them while they were handling food around the children," Dyantyi tells BBC Trending. "It was purely to protect the children from the risk of contaminated food. This social media reaction is ridiculous."

Thousands of Twitter users criticised Nel-Peters after photos of her at a soup drive on Wednesday began to circulate on social media.

Many accused the beauty queen of wearing the latex gloves "because she didn't want to touch black children" and shared images of her hugging dogs and white children with bare hands.

In a video posted to her Twitter account, Nel-Peters said that she wore the gloves for sanitary reasons and denied that were any racial undertones to her actions.

"All the volunteers on site wore gloves today because we honestly thought that it's the right thing to do while working with food and while handing out food to young kids," Nel-Peters said. She also apologised to those who were offended.

Claudia Henkel, a spokesperson for the beauty queen, also sent images to BBC Trending of Nel-Peters gloveless and playing with the children after the food had been served.

Namibia's national team hope to overcome fitness issues as they begin their Cosafa Cup campaign in South Africa at the weekend with most of their players idle for months as the league in the country remains dormant.

Coach Ricardo Mannetti says a lack of match fitness "is bad because of the league" but says a quarter-final win over Lesotho in Saturday's quarter-final would give his side a chance to take the title again.

Namibia won the annual southern African championship two years ago.

Namibia secured the shock result in South Africa's North West Province after going through a rigorous test of physical endurance by playing six matches in the space of a fortnight - and it is a return to a happy hunting ground for Mannetti and a near-full strength squad - missing only three regulars.

But with the majority of the players home-based, the fact that the Namibian league has been dormant for more than 12 months means Mannetti's squad is nowhere near as ready as it should be.

The Namibian Premier League lost its sponsorship and has not kicked a ball since the 2015-16 season ended in April last year.

Rumours of backroom tussles between the league and the Namibia Football Association have also emerged in the Namibian media and may have hindered the search for a solution.

"The biggest headache for us at the moment is to get it together against Lesotho," added Mannetti in a BBC interview.

"I hope the league starts soon but at the moment it doesn't look like it. There will still be two-to-three months of meetings, constitutional reviews and all of that."

But with seven wins for Namibia in their last nine Cosafa Cup matches, Mannetti said he reminded his players everyday that "this is a cup that is winnable".

"It's a cup we can claim again and make history again, it will be good to put behind us all the troubles and worries that Namibian football has gone through over the last year."

Namibia enter the tournament at the quarter-final stage as one of the top six seeds. Their match against Lesotho on Saturday is preceded by Botswana taking on Zambia.

On Sunday, South Africa, the hosts and defending champions, play Tanzania, who on Thursday squeezed through as winners of Group A in the first round. Tanzania edged out Angola on goal difference.

The last quarter-final clash on Sunday night at the Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace pits Swaziland against Zimbabwe, who finished top of Group B.

Ovidy Karuru scored a hat trick on Friday as the Zimbabweans beat the Seychelles 6-0 and also went through on a superior goal difference, above Madagascar whose 4-1 win over Mozambique was not enough to avoid elimination.

Malawi’s Ministry of Agriculture has suspended imports of poultry from Zimbabwe, South Africa and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), in light of the current Bird Flu outbreak.

Bird flu is a deadly and highly contagious disease which is transmitted through contact with infected domesticated and wild birds.

The disease can also be fatal to humans.

According to an official from the Ministry, the suspension has been intensified as a preventative measure, to ensure that the disease is not introduced into Malawi.

He further assures the public that other strict measures are being implemented to protect them from the Bird Flu outbreak.

Speaking to Capital FM, Spokesperson in the ministry, Hamilton Chimala disclosed that they are doing all they can to ensure that the outbreak does not spread to the country.

Apart from that the ministry is also engaging the poultry association of Malawi to sensitise them on the outbreak and how best it can be prevented.

The ban in the country comes in light of reports that countries neighbouring South Africa have also banned poultry imports.

According to Reuters online news, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana suspended poultry imports on Tuesday.

South Africa has confirmed outbreaks of avian flu, which is often transmitted by wild birds, on at least two farms. South Africa and Mozambique banned poultry imports from Zimbabwe this month after a bird flu outbreak there.

Botswana, which only imports 5 percent of its poultry needs, said it would no longer buy poultry meat, processed products and feeds from South Africa.

Zimbabwe imposed a similar ban while Namibia also halted imports from Belgium which has experience an outbreak of bird flu earlier this year.

South Africa on Monday ended the sale of live hens throughout the country in a bid to control the outbreak that was detected on the farm of a commercial broiler breeder last week.

Poultry producer Astral, which had previously confirmed that H5N8 had been detected at its breeding facilities on the outskirts of the Free State, said on Tuesday it had quarantined the affected site and culled 150,000 birds, around six percent of its breeding stock.

Capital Tweets

Any data to display

Find Us on Facebook